The Breathwork Integration Coaching Method
Before starting the following process it is good to speak with your client about a specific area they choose to work on in order to get specific with the prompts. Some great suggestions could be any of the 7 areas of life. You can even do a breathwork/meditation session where you cycle through the 7 areas and ask them to identify which one felt the most emotional pain, resistance, fear, uncertainty, blockage or even excitement. You can review their CVP and ask them what areas felt blocked, uncertain or unattainable.
You can invite the client to reply out loud (before the session starts) if they feel called or if it is distracting they can continue in silence and give feedback after the session.
The 7 Areas are: financial, career, physical health, mental, emotional, spiritual/life purpose, relationships
Each mindwork session should start with about 20 minutes of breathwork in either style to prime the brain and clear the mind followed by 10-15 minutes of ambient music to guide the client through.
Intake: We star all of our initial sessions with an intake form. An exploratory talk to share a bt about ourselves and learn about our client. This is probably he most you will be talking throughout your coaching sessions with the client. See intake form in the Appendix for more details. We will establish the focus area (to start) and this will change over time.
Tools: CVP, Breath Awareness Meditation, 7 Areas of life meditation
Mindwork Process: Using about 20 minutes of flow breathwork once we have started to set our intention on the area to work with the client we will embark on a deeper journey with a specific prompting process to help unlock deeper insights. There are 3 main steps outlined below
- Isolate the challenge
- Identify what needs to change and Feel the change
- Taking Action and Anchoring In
Each mindwork session will be followed by:
Inspection: This is where we coach them. Ask them to share and actively listen. The more we can help them to question their experience we can help them to get down to the root of their issues and help them to create their own perfect solutions. Sometimes this will be very easy and at other times can be challenging where they might not want to share or have much to share. It is important to be patient and discern when is a good time to probe deeper and when is a god time to allow space.
As we move through our coaching session and you gain more experience you will start to enhance your ability to ask better questions and develop a deeper sense of intuition. Also the more you can connect with your client you can move deeper into the space of intuitive questioning. You will get into a sort of flow state where you are hyper present, listening intently and questions will rise to the surface. Its important to have a pen to write down questions as they arise because we want to give space and time for the client to fully express their experience or fully answer a question. Sometimes it will emerge right way and other times they may need some space to express something that is new to them or maybe conflicts with previously held beliefs or programming.
Sample Inspection Process:
- Give space for sharing after the breathwork.
- What came up for you?
- Did anything stand out in relation to your intention?
- Did anything else come up that surprised you?
- Were there any feelings, good, challenging or even blocked feelings you noticed throughout the session.
- Listen intently and take notes.
- Review the mindwork process and ask back some of the prompts if they are struggling or just to go deeper
- Repeat back what you have heard so far. This is important. Sometimes just hearing their thoughts will unlock new perspectives and deeper awareness
- Ask them what they feel are the key areas or insights or problems they have uncovered or brought more awareness to
- Help them discover an answer or deeper understanding through questioning and not giving advice or leading questions.
- What do you think you should do about this?
- Why is this happening?
- Is this a pattern for you?
- What would you need to do to fix this
- What could you have done differently?
- What options do you have?
- Is there a way this could have been helping you or teaching you something you needed to understand?
- (this list can go on forever)
- OPTIONAL SUGGESTION – If you have exhausted all questions and feel you an answer or suggestion they would benefit from hear (Important to avoid being attached to them accepting or rejecting your advice should be neutral) you can ask them if they would be open to a suggestions. It is important that your advice is not absolute meaning you are insisting they should do X or why rather:
- May I offer an idea?
- As you were talking I thought of something that might help..
- You know another solution might be…
- From my own experience…
- Remember your job is to not solve their problem for them but to help them find their own perfect solutions and pathway forward.
- Explore Core Wounds/Beliefs & Needs: As part of the inspection process we always want to bring awareness to Core Wounds / Beliefs. Here we can share the list or read them out loud slowly and ask them to check in if any of them resonate with them. Once we have discovered Core Wounds we now have awareness to some of the reasons why they fall into patterns and react or get triggered so they can start to create change in real time. Needs come next. Once we feel that we have got some clarity on Wounds and Beliefs we can start to explore needs. This will usually happen after the 3rd session but as a coach you can pivot if you feel necessary. This will become easier to discern as you gain more experience and are able to use all the tools you have much more easily.
- Always recap and tell them what you are hearing in your own words. So what Im hearing you say is…. Does that feel accurate to you?
Integration: What will we bring awareness to between now and our next session? What new strategies can we implement to reprogram the beliefs we have uncovered and even start to find strategies to begin empowering ourselves to fulfill our needs and/or communicate in a healthy way to others we are in relationship about our needs.
IMPORTANT – Reprogramming (repetition + emotion) takes minimum 21 days so you want them to repeat this and review the insights daily or as much as possible in between sessions. They can journal, say a mantra, re-listen to a recording of your session etc. It is up to you to create an accountability plan. Be specific on what you guys decide together that they can commit to. Even if its listening to a track daily on elementalrhythm.com.